A diagnosis of Gullain-Barre' can be both emotionally and physically difficult. The loss of control patients experience with Gullain-Barre' is frightening and causes a major interruption to daily life. Individuals with Gullain-Barre' generally need continued therapy after they are discharged from the hospital.
Our highly trained team uses evidence based treatments to help each patient reach their highest level of functioning and best quality of life.
- Individualized physical, occupational, and speech therapy assessments and treatments
- Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT) certified therapists
- Wheelchair and adaptive equipment evaluations
- Driving rehabilitation specialists
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist (CAPS) with patient education focused on lifestyle and home safety adjustments as well as home modifications
- Return to work training
- Comprehensive evaluation and treatment for swallowing disorders
- Specialty certified feeding eating swallowing specialist (SCFES)
- Speech language pathologists trained in VitalStim® to address swallowing disorders
- Facial neuromuscular re-training and biofeedback to improve facial muscle strength and control
- Augmentative and alternative communication assessment and expertise to determine communication equipment needs
- Case management and coordination of care
- Registered nurse and licensed social worker
- Discharge planning including the opportunity to transition to our Fit for Function exercise program or guidance during transitioning to a community exercise program
- Bioness® and Walkaide® functional electrical stimulation for the lower leg designed to help people regain mobility and function
- Bioness® functional electrical stimulation for the arm and hand to promote grasp and release
- Comprehensive evaluation and treatment for swallowing disorders including services such as VitalStim® and videofluoroscopy swallowing assessment
- Saebo© equipment including dynamic orthotics for the hand and arm that help to maximize function
- Specialized equipment for your computer
- Dynavision™ training to improve hand-eye skills, attention, hand-eye coordination and reaction time
- Bodyweight Supported Harness™ treadmill training to improve walking
- Natus Balance Master® provides objective assessment and balance retraining
"I have Guillain-Barre' Syndrome. When I was discharged from the nursing home, my doctors referred me to NeuroRehab & Balance Center for treatment. After meeting my physical and occupational therapists, I was set up with a treatment plan. Both of my therapists showed genuine interest in my recovery from explaining what each exercise would accomplish to my mental health. I can't say enough about my therapists and how wonderful they are and made me feel. The facility is spacious and clean with tools and equipment that you'll need to help you in your recovery.
Last week I was able to go on a fishing trip with my friends. Next up, get back to work and return to golfing!"
Gullain-Barre'/CDIP Support Group
GBS/CIDP Foundation International
Contact: Vanessa Thomas, liaison