Switch up your weekly menu with this creamy carrot ginger soup.
Yield: 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups diced carrots
2 teaspoons fresh, grated ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Parsley and extra plain yogurt for garnish if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toss 2 cups of diced carrots with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place carrots on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized pot. Add remaining carrots, ginger, and garlic. Sauté until carrots begin to soften—about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes.
- When the carrots in the oven are finished, take them out and add them to the pot on the stovetop. Once all vegetables are fork-tender, remove from heat.
- Puree in an immersion blender or in batches in a countertop blender.
- Add Greek yogurt and remaining salt. Then, add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Portion into serving bowls and top with fresh, chopped parsley or a dollop of plain yogurt if desired.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Total fat: 4.7 g
Dietary fiber: 2.1 g
Sodium: 349 mg
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 4.5 g
Calcium: 67 mg
Potassium: 296 mg