Receiving a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) or experiencing a flare up of this chronic, degenerative disease can impact many aspects of your life. For patients and their families, learning to live with MS can often feel overwhelmingly challenging, but the comprehensive team at NeuroRehab and Balance Center helps guide you following initial diagnosis and every step along the way. Our team uses evidence based treatments, advanced technologies and compensatory techniques to help improve function and meet the goals that are most important to you and your family.
- We work with Orthotists to determine correct bracing needed for patients.
- Individualized physical, occupational, and speech therapy assessments and treatments
- Certified vestibular rehabilitation therapists
- Wheelchair and adaptive equipment evaluations
- Driving rehabilitation specialists
- Board certified neurologic clinical specialists
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist (CAPS) with patient education focused on lifestyle and home safety adjustments
- Skill development for returning to activities including school/work
- Comprehensive evaluation and treatment for swallowing disorders
- Specialty certified feeding eating swallowing specialist (SCFES)
- Speech language pathologists trained in assessment and treatment of swallowing disorders
- Facial neuromuscular re-training and biofeedback to improve facial muscle strength and control
- Augmentative and alternative communication assessment and expertise to determine communication equipment needs
- Memory, cognitive, speech and language specialists
- Case management and coordination of care
- Registered nurse and licensed social worker
- Coordinated discharge planning and family conferences
- Bioness® and Walkaide® functional electrical stimulation for the lower leg designed to help people regain mobility and function
- Bioness® functional electrical stimulation for the arm and hand to promote grasp and release
- VitalStim® and videofluoroscopy swallowing disorders
- Saebo© equipment including dynamic orthotics for the hand and arm that help to maximize function
- Guidance in the use of cooling vests for overheating issues
- Specialized equipment for your computer
- BalanceWear® certification for improved walking and standing balance
- Dynavision™ training to improve hand-eye skills, attention, hand-eye coordination and reaction time
- Bodyweight Supported Harness™ treadmill training to improve walking
- Natus Balance Master® provides objective assessment and balance retraining
- Dartfish for gait and movement analysis
We understand that patients and families face much uncertainty when living with multiple sclerosis. Our team helps patients and families adjust to changes, set and work toward meaningful goals and manage new challenges such as fatigue and emotional changes.
"I have relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis and began having balance issues and weakness in my left leg and hip. I was VERY FORTUNATE that my neurologist referred me to the NeuroRehab and Balance Center.
I was given a very thorough evaluation by a physical therapist before my therapy sessions began. She asked detailed questions about issues I was having and goals I wanted to achieve. More importantly, it was a two way conversation and I felt very confident my goals would be met.
I was amazed at the various therapy routines and equipment that were available to me. Having harnesses to prevent me from falling, balance boards, and a variety of surfaces to walk on were instrumental to my improving my balance. Exercises to perform at home using elastic bands (provided) were very helpful to my recovery and continued strength and balance improvement.
I was very impressed with the treatment I received. The therapists were personable, professional, and genuinely cared about my progress. The therapists were familiar with MS and were aware of my need to rest and/or remain cool. I was also given detailed instructions on exercises I could do at home and/or a gym when my therapy ended. I highly recommend the NeuroRehab and Balance Center!"
Ohio Valley Multiple Sclerosis Society
Charles Latherm Senior Center
2900 Glengarry Drive, Kettering
Meets second Wednesday of the month from 6:30-9:00pm
For more information contact:
Multiple Sclerosis Association of America
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
National MS Society - Ohio Valley Chapter
4440 Lake Forest Dr, Suite 120
Cincinnati, OH 45242
Phone: (513) 769-4400
Fax: (513) 769-6019
Website: Ohio Valley Chapter
Access Center for Independent Living
901 South Ludlow Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402