When your heart's on the line, our award winning care team is devoted to getting you back to the things you love.
In an emergency, trust your heart to the very best. In the category of medical excellence, Kettering Health Network is #1 in Ohio for Heart Attack Treatment by CareChex, a division of Comparian Analytics.
Heart Attack & Stroke Symptoms
Don't wait too long before getting help! While some heart attacks are sudden and intense, others start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort.
If you are experiencing any of the following heart attack or stroke symptoms call 911 immediately.
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath. May occur with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs: These may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
These symptoms, however, are typical for middle-aged men and not necessarily for women.
- Discomfort above the waist (including back, shoulders, arms or jaw)
- Nausea and vomiting, fatigue
- Shortness of breath (trouble catching your breath)
- Arm and/or chest pain
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause.
Take care of your heart now, before it's too late. These preventative measures can keep your heart healthy before a heart attack strikes.
Access life-saving emergency care at our 10 full-service emergency centers
- No Smoking
- Monitor Blood Sugar
- Intentional Relaxation
- Monitor Blood pressure
- Eat healthy
- Regular Exercise
- Maintain healthy weight
- Undergo Preventive Screenings