Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Kettering Reproductive Medicine can help manage your PCOS so you can get back to living a happier and healthier life.
Do you live with irregular periods, acne and skin discoloration, unusual hair growth, and weight gain? You could be living with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Whether you are looking to get pregnant, beyond child bearing age, or in your teens, our specialists will create a personalized treatment plan just for you.
What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), is a metabolic and hormonal disorder that can cause small cysts to grow on the ovaries. While the cysts are not harmful, they lead to hormone imbalances. PCOS can affect women as early as their adolescent years and continue throughout menopause.
PCOS is defined by several symptoms, including menstrual irregularity, fertility problems, excess hair growth, and obesity. However, not every woman with PCOS will experience it the same way.
Symptoms of PCOS include:
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight, regardless of diet and activity level
- Menstrual irregularities, such as amenorrhea or the absence of menstruation
- Infrequent ovulation or difficulty becoming pregnant
- Acne, oily skin, changes in coloration, and darkening and thickening of skin, often seen in skin fold areas
- Excess hair growth
Kettering Reproductive Medicine offers a comprehensive pathway for women with PCOS of all ages including consultation, treatment, ongoing management and necessary referrals.
Your treatment plan may include:
- Individualized or group classes on lifestyle modifications and personalized exercise regimens
- Metabolic evaluations and coaching from exercise and nutrition specialists on how to maximize your metabolism
- Management of skin conditions such as acne and excess hair growth
- Medication management of metabolic disorders such as insulin resistance, which can cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight
- Sleep medicine evaluation when appropriate